“Knowledge is knowing people” – Confucius
Use the right assessment tools to help you better identify the right candidates or development needs. The following is a checklist to help you choose the right assessment tool for hiring and development planning. Before you commit to any assessment instrument to assist in your recruitment or development process, have a look at the checklist below. This checklist can be useful to have with you the next time you meet with a consultant or vendor.
- Why do I need the assessment instrument?
- Do I wish to upgrade my current selection or development planning process with the assessment tool?
- Do I wish to standardize the selection and development process throughout the company?
- Which job positions will I use the assessment tool for?
- Am I clear what competencies are required for the job?
- Do I need a Job Analysis to identify and benchmark the competencies for the job positions being assessed?
- What in-house tools am I currently using for selection and development decisions?
- Are these tools providing me with the information I need?
- Does the assessment tool measure personality or work behaviours desired for the position?
- Does it provide a reference to match the results for the position?
- Is the tool valid and reliable?
- What follow up services will be provided?
- Are the reports easy to understand?
- Should I use the assessment for all candidates or only the short-listed ones?
- How should it be administered, and would it require input from other people?
- Which language is most appropriate?
- When will the reports be ready?
- Is it easy to implement?
Reprinted with permission from Profiles of Hong Kong