Take this short quiz that will help you evaluate and think about your current communication abilities. Think of a recent important conversation you’ve had. How many of these questions can you answer ‘YES’ to?
- Did I prepare ahead of time for this conversation?
- Did I think about the best way to approach this person?
- Was I aware of the other person’s communication style and spoke to it?
- Did I pay full attention, without multitasking, to what the other person was saying?
- Was the intent of my communication to discuss and understand rather than be right?
- Did I listen, without interruption, to the other person’s point of view even if I didn’t agree?
- If I was asking the person to take a specific action, did I make my request clear and concise?
- Did I summarize what I thought I heard the other person say before expressing my point of view?
- Did I follow-up to see if the conversation was successful/if it led to a positive outcome for the other?
- If the outcome did not meet my expectations, did I reflect on how to better communicate with that particular person?
What Is Your Communication Profile?
What did you score?
8-10 ‘Yes’ indicates you’re on top of things. Keep up the good work.
4-7 ‘Yes’ is OK, but you could brush up in certain areas.
0-3 ‘Yes’. You have work to do.